Are you thinking of relocating abroad? If you are about to go and settle in Canada, you must be wondering how you can get a Canadian Permanent Residence?
You will need to follow a process to get permanent residence (PR) in Canada. It requires determining your eligibility, whether you fulfill the criteria or not? There are set requirements, and you are instructed to meet them. After that, you will be asked to complete the application form.
Want to hear the good news? The new applications for Canada’s permanent residence pathway are open. This time Canada is offering almost six ways to invite applications for permanent residence. Canada plans to invite and welcome nearly 90,000 temporary residents and offer them permanent residence in the country.
Canada is the land of opportunities, and Canada welcomes everyone for all those who want to go and live there permanently. Every year, thousands of people seek to become permanent residents of Canada, and the number of successful applicants is growing each day.
Do you know that Canada’s Permanent Residency is one of the most longed-for visa categories globally? In 2020, Canada welcomed 106,405 permanent resident economic immigrants, and Canada is a country that offers skilled foreign workers to come and settle there.
Canada’s Permanent Residence program is a 5-year multiple entry visa program. Once you get the PR card, after three years of staying and working there, you can apply for Canadian citizenship.
You might be wondering why Canada’s permanent residence is the table talk? It is because this permanent residence offers a lot of benefits. For instance;
- 5-year Multiple Entries Visa
- Canada is an immigrant-friendly country
- It doesn’t show any discrimination against immigrants
- Equal privileges, opportunities, and legitimate assistance to foreign immigrants comparable to the citizens
- Family Status to permanent work
- Schooling, well-being, and community-based program vision for the whole family
- Access to the USA
- You can leave and enter Canada’s borders whenever you want. By using a Canadian permanent resident card
- You will also be given permanent resident travel documents (PRTD)
- Once all the requirements are met, you can apply for Canadian citizenship
Sounds great, right? Understandable. So you might be wondering what the eligibility criteria for a Canadian PR card are? The minimum prerequisites are:
- Good bands in IELTS exams
- Maintained Funds in your account
- Your career should be on the desired list of country
- Win at least 67/100 points
- Produce papers for employment on demand
- Skill Assessment Test
- Educational Degrees and Transcripts
- Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
Are you worried about your comprehensive ranking system score? It is a point-based system used to access your profile and rank it in the Express Entry Pool. There are various categories for which points are allocated. Some of these categories are:
- Age has a maximum of 12 points
- Education carries a total of 25 points
- For Work Experience, there are 15 points at maximum.
- Language proficiency carries 28 points
- For adaptability, you will get 10 points
- For Arranged Employment 10 points are allotted
The average cut-off value is 470 points. A good Comprehensive Ranking Score is in the range of 460-470. Expect to get an invitation to apply (ITA) if you have a score in this range. Sometimes, applicants with fewer scores are also seen to have received ITA.
The following list of documents is needed, and you will be asked to provide this on-demand. As you are claiming points, make sure to fulfill the eligibility criteria.
The documents are:
- Education Transcripts and Degrees
- Experience Letters from Employment
- Valid Passport
- Proof of Identity
- IELTS Score Card
- Qualifying WES Report
- Clearance Certificates from Medical and Police Departments
If you have made up your mind about permanent residence in Canada, then here is a step-by-step guide for you to apply for PR in Canada.
- First of all, complete ECA which is the Education Credentials Assessment
- Earn good bands in your IELTS scorecards
- There is an online portal, Express Entry. Create your profile and lodge your application.
- Apply for the suitable permanent residence program
- Once you get your Invitation to Apply (ITA), you are good to go for the next steps.
- You will also be asked to submit clearance certificates from health and police departments. It will be supervised by Canadian Citizenship and Immigration (CIC)
- You will attain your authorization for permanent residence prestige; provide your passport for visa stamping once you get it.
There are a lot of candidates who can not get 400 points. The right pathway for permanent residence is the popular Provincial Nominee Program.
Each province and region has its sources and policies that target students, business people, and skilled workers. However, keep in mind that each area has different eligibility criteria.
A few renowned programs are:
- Alberta Immigrant Program
- British Columbia Program
- Manitoba Provincial Program
- New Brunswick Programme
- Newfoundland and Labrador Program
Some more are:
- Nova Scotia Program
- Ontario Immigrant Nominee
- Prince Edward Island Program
- Saskatchewan Immigrant
- Yukon Program
If you are about to depart to Canada on Family backing, the following members of your family can accompany you.
If you are a bachelor but you don’t mention yourself as one, the authorities assume that your partner will be going with you. Therefore you don’t need to apply individually for your partner’s visa.
Your kids under 22 years of age are also included in your profile. Not only this, differently-abled or mentally unstable kids are also your dependents and are considered in your application.
You can also sponsor your parents once you get settled in Canada. After spending a considerable period there, you can invite your parents there with you.
You all are well aware of the latest waves of CoronaVirus and the new Delta Variant. Due to the pandemic, there are travel restrictions, and from time to time, these get updated.
You will be asked to provide a negative COVID test before boarding the plane. Not only this, your test after the flight is also needed. Moreover, possibly you will be asked to stay in quarantine if needed until your test results are negative.
Due to COVID travel restrictions, you can expect a bit of delay in application processing. The applications for Canadian Permanent Residence are open and are being accepted. The only reason you will not be admitted to Canada is if you show symptoms of COVID-19.
Do you know that the PR is not a Canadian citizen? So all PR Card Holders need to reapply once the card expires. Once issued, the Canadian permanent residence card is valid for five years, and you can renew it later on.
If you want to keep your status, the minimum period is 730 days. You can renew your residence in five years if you stay for almost 730 days.
There are various programs by which you can submit your application for permanent residence. Some are:
This program is for professionals and trade workers.
This program is specifically for people in business and needs a minimum investment of CAD$ 150,000.
This program is for all those who can’t meet the requirements for the Provincial Nomination Programme.
A few other programs are:
- Start-Up Visa Program
- Self-Employed Program
- Family Class Immigration
- Work Permit Visa
- Study Visa Program (For undergraduates or Graduates)
- Visitor Visa
- The Atlantic Program
Each year Canada plans to invite and welcome thousands of visitors to become permanent residents. Over 1 million permanent residents have been accepted in the last few years.
So are you ready to live your life in Canada?
You should keep this one thing in mind your permanent residency can be canceled out by an adjudicator if:
- A PRTD Appeal or inquiry is filed against you
- You renounce your residence voluntarily
- A removal order against you may come into force
- When you get Canadian citizenship
If you want to achieve your dream of residing permanently in Canada, keep one thing in mind this application is not as easy as it seems. At times the process gets complicated, time-consuming, and challenging.
Take help from professionals throughout Canadian permanent residence to avoid any problems in the process. It is because the last thing you want or can afford is to get a refused or rejected application.